Sunday, September 28, 2008

Change of Heart

I've recently finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Normally I'm a half-hearted fan of this author, more of a take it or leave it type read for me. But this one sucked me in right from the very beginning.

Apart from the story line, the other thing I liked about this novel was that each chapter was written by one of the characters. It made for an interesting read and, while not a mind blowing plot it was still entertaining enough to keep me reading and a little thought provoking, especially about the death penalty.

Since I'm being a bit lazy about this review, here's the spiel from the web site:
One day June Nealon was happily anticipating a lifetime of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. Now her life is a waiting game. Waiting for time to heal her wounds, waiting for justice. Waiting for a miracle to happen.

For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens one day that changes everything for him. Now he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's twelve-year-old daughter, Claire. But between Shay and Claire stretches an ocean of bitter regrets, past crimes and the rage of a mother who has lost her child.

3 comments:

Carla said...

looking forward to it - is it yours? I'll post you the Kite Runner if you post me that - this blog is going to get expensive if I have to buy ALL of these books ;)

Claire said...

I love Jodi Picoult. I've read several of her books and the thing I love most about them is that there's no set formula. They're all such different story lines.

Maybe we should set up an account at the post office especially for book exchanges

Rebecca said...

or there's always the library if you don't mind being kept on a waiting list forever...