Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Another Jodi Piccoult

I just recently finished Songs of the Humpback Whale - borrowed from Michelle - and at this point I think I've come to realise that I just like my books to go from beginning to end. While I loved the story that was told (a mother and daughter journey their way across the US away from their husband and father - meanwhile he sets off in pursuit of them) - I found the telling of it a little odd. It was one of those stories where it was told from the viewpoint of 5 different people - which I don't altogether mind - however the first paragraph of each new timepoint/date was written by the daughter and she wrote it from end to beginning... like a movie going backwards. But everyone else was telling the story the correct way - from beginning to end - and my confusion was not aided by the fact that it took me about 6 CHAPTERS to figure that out... sigh. My brain is addled since my arrest.... cardiac arrest I mean.. LOL. Anyway, I would definitely read more of her stuff.

On the 'book borrowing from the library' front you'll all be pleased to know that I am 61st in line to borrow Eat Love Pray.... bloody hell - I"ll just buy it today no doubt.

3 comments:

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus said...

You've got to wait for 60 other people to read it?!

I'm going to post it to you 'morrow.

DON'T BUY IT!

Rebecca said...

i'm with you on the 'wanting the story to go from start to finish' thing. i am having the same trouble with "the witch of portobello road". i can't take all the switching around from character to character.

Claire said...

It took me a little while to get groovy with that thing too but I just love her and her quirky ways.